Andean Textile Arts Up Close
Whether you are a textile enthusiast or an adventure traveler, accompany us on a remarkable journey. We offer annual tours that let you experience traditional Andean life far off the beaten path. Meet with Andean artisans and try your hand at backstrap weaving and spinning on a drop spindle. Taste local food and visit sites that have helped define Andean culture and textiles. Plus, a portion of your travel fee will go to Andean weaving communities to help advance their fiber arts traditions.
Images from Past Tours (Click to view full size):
A trip like no other, our annual tour of the Cusco Highlands takes you deep into the land and fiber history of the Incas and their descendants.
Next tour: October 22 – November 2, 2019
- Cloth-making demonstrations at the ATA-supported Center for Traditional Textiles of Cusco
- Visits to remote weaving communities
- Traditional Andean lunch and natural dye workshop in Chinchero
- Train trip alongside the Urubamba River, complete with breath-taking views
- Two days at the citadel of Machu Picchu, a world wonder
- Stopovers at other extraordinary archaeological sites such as the fortresses of Pisac and Ollantaytambo in the Sacred Valley
OUR 2019 PERUVIAN TOUR IS ALREADY FULL. Interested in joining our next trip? Contact Pam Art at email@example.com
Explore the traditional arts, cultures, and natural wonders of Peru’s southern neighbor. This Bolivian Artisan Tour, the first of its kind for Andean Textile Arts, is full of surprises.
Next tour: August 7 – 20, 2019
- Visit the lowland artisans of ArteCampo in Santa Cruz and the J’alqa, Tarabuco and Cochebamba weavers at ASUR in Sucre
- Shop at the wonderful Tarabuco Sunday market
- See colonial Potosi’s silver at the Royal Mint House and watch the sunset over the salt plains of Uyuni before spending the night in a salt hotel
- Travel to La Paz in the high Andes to visit the textile collection of the National Museum of Ethnography and Folklore
- Explore the ruins of imperial Tiahuanacu, wander through street markets, and view La Paz and the nearby mountain Illimani from above on the teleférico.
OUR 2019 BOLIVIAN TOUR IS ALREADY FULL. Interested in joining our next trip? Contact Pam Art at firstname.lastname@example.org