After much discussion among the ATA board of directors and consultation with Kevin Healy, ATA advisory board member and Bolivia expert, we’ve made the decision to postpone this year’s Bolivia tour until the fall of 2021.
We’ve been monitoring the evolving Bolivian political situation over recent months. After the general election last November, the results were challenged, an interim government was put in place, and a new election was announced for early May. Now, less than two months from that vote, the latest dynamics in Bolivia point to a post-election period that could be a troublesome time with potential unrest and protests. At the very least, we won’t know until May which way the election will go nor what the response to the election might be. Layer that upon the worsening global situation with the COVID-19 coronavirus, and we decided that if we’re going to postpone the tour, we should make the call sooner rather than later.
We hope and expect that by the late summer/early fall of 2021 both the political and health situations will have resolved. The safety and security of tour guests and the communities we visit is our top priority in making this decision. If you registered for this year’s tour, we will be refunding your deposits, and you’ll have the first opportunity to register for the 2021 tour when those details are announced. We sincerely hope you will join us!